pondelok 1. decembra 2014

GRIBGRAB WINTER CYCLING SOCK (English version)


These times when everything is "Ifantastic" and modern technologies are following us on every step, there is a lot of talk about the wool as great natural fiber crashing the synthetic opponents.
I immediately remembered my old wool sweater, I had when I was a child which have literally almost eaten me alive. No thank you, I said to my self and forgotten the wool in that thought.


With approaching winter and dropping temperature I have started to search for some socks, which will relieve a little to my frozen toes. As usual I am starting the research on the internet and there it is again. Wool here, wool there, everywhere is a wool. In addition the price is very high which is not convincing me at all. I am knocking on my forehead, who will pay for this. I continue in my search and do not let the commercial and bio bullshits to convince me to buy the wool socks.  


If you are reading this you know that I have been convinced. And it was one of my better decision. Excellent decision indeed. I have decided to go for the Danish producer, GribGrab, founded by three brothers. To be more specific I ordered model no 3005 or winter cycling socks how they are called on their official web page. How will I test them if they are worth the money spent ? Let me think...



I am going to do something, none of the synthetic sock will withstand. My plan is to wear them 7 days around the clock. Exactly! I will sleep with them. In addition they will be commuting with me 10 km to the work and back, plus eight hours in the work and some evening activities. This will be repeated throughout the working week plus some longer trip (50-60km) over the weekend. Some say the Merino is very resistant to odor and is able to absorb liquid more than 1/3 of its weight while maintaining the comfort warm feel.


Start of the test


Once the socks have been delivered I am starting the test. This model consist of 28% of the Merino wool. Hope this will be enough for my plans. First off all, you will be surprised how conformable and soft are they to touch. After putting the sock on feet the nice feeling is even better and the sock is literally like velvet. They are not compressing  or scratching your feet. After some time I have totally forgotten about them and focused myself on the family, work, hobbies... . They get my attention in the evening, when I have to put them off to get shower. After shower I am putting them back on, my wife is glancing at me in the strange way, but she doesn't say anything yet. On third day when I repeat this process, she asked me if I went nuts. I am putting them off to smell them, still as new. Offering the wife if she would like to smell too, but she is disgusted and left. She doesn't understand I just talked to myself and continue with my test.





The sock cope with the winter very well and kept my feet cozy and warm. But there is something unusual about the keeping the warm feel. I was accustomed to synthetic sock, where the warm is very sudden with the great intensity so you have feeling of the burning feet. On the other hand , the merino is keeping the constant temperature all day no-mater of the outside condition or the activity you are doing. After some long intensive activity when you are sweating considerably more, the sock get wet of course, but the cold feeling is not coming as you can experience with artificial fiber. First time I was not following and still trying to touch my feet whether they are still alive or dead which could be  the reason not to feel the cold. After some time I have understood the reason is the merino fiber.


The test results are very good and after seven days the sock do not smell at all. The will last for the next week with ease but since they starting to be little dirty they are going to the laundry. The only setback is the fact that they are creating a lot of fraction which is not very nice from the aesthetic point of view (see the photos below)







At the end the merino wool have beaten my prejudice and my next sock or base layer will be definitely from this material.


Material


28% Merino Wool
27% Acrylic
41% Nylon
2% Polyester
2% Elastane

Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára